New Foster The People Single: Coming of Age

I don't follow Foster the People too closely but I happened upon this video on my home page on Facebook.
Now, I'm literally writing this as I am in the middle of listening to the song for the first time.  My first impressions are very positive.  The sound is full and the song is well put together.  The backup vocals improve the song instead of annoy me (which is unusual within the realm of pop for the past few years, in my opinion).  Like previous Foster the People songs, the drums are simple but suit the style well.  The intro is very grandeur; which I think works here.

As far as the lyrics go, I wasn't really listening.  In fact, I almost never listen to/for the lyrics on a first listen.  This is probably because I've always been more into the instrumental side of music.

In any case, I also have not watched the video.  I was busy writing this instead.  But, in the case of music videos, it's probably better because I don't like to dictate if a song is good or not based on its video; especially since I probably won't watch the video many times anyways.

Upon a second listen, I realized what this song sounded like.  It sounds like what Vampire Weekend could have been if they didn't decide to morph into a boring pop band instead.  The bridge is well-written in its simplicity.  It ties into the beginning pretty well.  Lyrically, I didn't pay much attention this time around either.  I guess he's making some kind of simile to coming of age ("Feels like it's coming of age").  In one of the verses he's talking about being bruised up and fighting or struggling or something like that.  So perhaps he's saying that growing up is hard for a lot of people.  I don't really know what he's comparing it to though.  But generally speaking, the lyrics seem pretty typical from the outset.

I've only listened to it twice now but, overall, I think that this song will probably blend in with the other present indie-pop acts.  Although the high-pitched vocals of Foster the People often annoy me, I like this song a little more than most of the indie-pop stuff that I hear on Q87.7.  Quite frankly, a lot of the indie-pop scene annoys me.  However, I think this song is solid.  If you like pop or indie-pop, I would give it a listen.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment