The 10 Musicians that Have Influenced Me the Most

This list was especially tough to make.  I started with a brainstorm of 99 musicians and started having a really hard time after I had reduced that list to about 25.  For instance, I almost cried when I realized that I had to eliminate Tim Armstrong from the list.  So, this one was very, very, tough.  I hope that I don't look at this list in the future and realize that it's all wrong but, at this point in time, it's the best I can do.  It's just so hard to choose some over others as they have all influenced me a great amount.

Number 10:   Josh Farro - Paramore
Josh Farro
Backing Vocals, Guitar, Scream 

Farro's guitar riffs have influenced me without a doubt.  I've always loved the guitar work in Paramore.  In fact, there is a certain approach that they take to bar chords that has influenced my own writing a great deal. Unfortuanately, I can't really describe it in words.  It's a very simple change but the only way I can describe it is by showing it.  So, I'll have to leave it at that. 





Number 9:     Justin Warfield - She Wants Revenge 
Justin Warfield
    Bass, Keyboards, Drums 


She Wants Revenge goes back to about the time I was 13 or 14.  She Wants Revenge have greatly influenced my approach to composition.  Especially with my early compositions.  Actually, the first song I ever wrote was probably mostly influenced by She Wants Revenge.  If you listen to it, you can definitely tell.  Justin Warfield writes simple drum and bass lines accompanied by dark sounding synthesizer.  The first song that I ever wrote could definitely be described as that.  Ever since then, I have found myself leaning more and more towards darker music than the rock and roll that I grew up on.  Justin Warfield's riffs led me in that direction.


Number 8:     Matt Bellamy - Muse
Matt Bellamy
  Guitar, Piano, Lead Vocals 

  
I have been a Muse fan for quite a long time now.  I was introduced to Muse when I was around 12 or 13 years old.  This was back before they were popular in the United States.  Muse is a very talented group but the clear   standout is Matt Bellamy.  Matt Bellamy is incredibly energetic, passionate, and talented at multiple instruments. He's also a very talented composer.  Basically, he can do a lot of things and serves as a musician to really look up to. 



Number 7:     Kurt Cobain - Nirvana 
Kurt Cobain
   Lead Vocals, Guitar

I always loved listening to Nirvana.  Their music makes the jaded feeling of being a helpless teenager really come alive.  Kurt Cobain is an amazing showman.  He brings passion to every live show he does and puts his whole body into it.  You can tell that he means every word that he sings and that the music is very close to him.  That is how it should be.





Number 6:     Joe Strummer - The Clash 
Joe Strummer
Lead Vocals,  Guitar

Ever since I came across Combat Rock in my dad's music collection, I have been a Joe Strummer fan.  He doesn't just play music, he's making a public service announcement and he's pissed off!  Joe Strummer basically introduced me to what punk is all about.   Not even just what punk is all about but what music is all about.  Not only can you relate to the listener about what you are feeling, but you can also change the world by making people more aware of major problems.  Music truly is a powerful tool..  



Number 5:     Matt Freeman - Rancid/Operation Ivy 
Matt Freeman
 Bass, Backing Vocals

If you haven't heard this guy play, then I suggest you watch this.  Matt Freeman is, hands down, the best punk bassist of all time.  There's just no one else who compares.  Listening to Rancid really inspired me to up my skill level at bass.  When I was able to play the studio version of the Maxwell Murder solo, I was very content.

His one drawback is that he's a very calm guy when playing live, even when he's playing the easy stuff.  That is why he only comes in at number five. 


Number 4:     Matt Sharp - Weezer 
Matt Sharp
Bass, Vocals 

Weezer is one of the first alternative groups that I really started getting into.  My favorite Weezer albums are Blue and Pinkerton.  Of course, those are the two albums that Matt Sharp is on.
This is no coincidence.
Matt Sharp is goofy, funny, and knows how to have a really good time on stage.  This is something that I didn't really do for the longest time.  Now, I pride myself on it.  I have Matt Sharp to owe for getting me in the right direction.  
Also, Matt Sharp plays some interesting bass lines which really influenced me to spice my bass lines up a bit.


Number 3:     Roger Glover - Deep Purple 
Roger Glover
Bass

Roger Glover essentially taught me how to play bass.  When I first picked up a bass, I started messing around with it using what I had learned about music from playing clarinet and, most importantly, from watching Deep Purple live DVDs so much.  For those of you that don't know me that well, I've been playing bass for about seven years.  For about four of those years, I used techniques that were similar to Roger Glover.  I finger picked and wore my bass a bit higher to reach the frets closer to the body easier.  Now, I wear my bass lower and use a 2mm pick (which is about the thickest you can get them).  My left hand spends most of its time around the headstock since the notes down there sound deeper than equivilant notes on the E string near the body.
Anyways, Roger Glover is about the most overshadowed musician in Deep Purple since he's outshined by the overwhelming talent of Ritchie Blackmore, John Lord, and Ian Paice.  However, I always looked up to him when I first started learning bass and there is no other person I would have in the number three spot.


Number 2:     Jim Adkins - Jimmy Eat World 
Jim Adkins
Guitar, Lead Vocals

First of all, if you haven't heard a Jimmy Eat World song other than "The Middle," you are missing out.  Jimmy Eat World is one of the most emotional bands I have ever heard.  Jim Adkins guitar work is extraordinary.  He knows how to make the quiet stuff have great tone which is something not a lot of guitarists can say.  His song writing is also phenomenal.  Time and time again I find myself being struck really hard by a line or stanza of lyrics that he writes.  Most importantly, I think that I relate to Jim because I feel we are similar people.  He's just a socially awkward nerd.  A lot like me.  In fact, the rhythm guitarist Tom Linton is the same way which is probably why Jimmy Eat World really connects with me in general.


Number 1:     Frank Iero - My Chemical Romance/Pencey Prep       
Frank Iero
Guitar, Scream, Backing Vocals, Lead Vocals

Anyone who knows me knows that this comes as no surprise.  Frank Iero is the last musician to really influence me a huge amount.  Really, he was the one who really caused me to breakout on stage.  I now have a kind of stage dress that has similarities to Frank Iero's concert wear from circa 2004.  I also do a few things on stage that he does as well.  However, I still can't quite develop a method for throwing my bass up in a circle while still wearing it.

I feel that Frank and I also share some similar qualities.  For instance, we both are pretty goofy and emotional.  We are also about the same height.  I know it sounds kind of shallow but height has always been a significant self-esteem issue for me.  Someone who is as awesome and is short really gives me something to live up to.

Sadly, My Chemical Romance has recently broken up.  But, even though the band is gone, Frank Iero's influence will always course through my veins.





Honorable Mentions:

Dennis DeYoung - Styx - Lead Vocals, Piano

"Come Sail Away" was the first emotional song that really had a deep meaning with me.  I can still remember watching a concert of theirs on TV during their Return to Paradise tour.  He's just so passionate in that song.  It's one of my earliest memories.  I'm pretty excited about seeing Dennis DeYoung on April 27th at the Arcada Theater in St. Charles, Illinois. Third row.

Brandon Flowers - The Killers - Lead Vocals, Keyboards

I started getting into The Killers shortly after I started getting into Weezer.  Brandon Flowers is a very emotional performer and very emotional composer.  This furthered my understanding of why music is most powerful when it is emotional.

Mike Dirnt - Green Day - Bass, Backing Vocals

Mike Dirnt was my kind of lead-in to what punk bass playing should be.  Though, Paul Simonon also contributed to that and then, ultimately, Matt Freeman.

References:

Josh Farro Image
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lav68xWp8x1qbq7kho1_500.png

Justin Warfield Image
http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/English/AllAccess/2010/Images-Stories/Justin-Warfield.jpg

Matt Bellamy Image
http://alexanderjuni.blogsmall.com/uploads/matt_bellamy_pic_03.jpg

Joe Strummer Image
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiCC9DRqzNmaHSUyvW0XAPJNRqN0rIcgndiianrcikkm_y7oFvt8CH-VySF7yXfyZ_JJzmKM9FnG8O6k0gmaCCzPqVkErHatEAZbxjFTCGm7-Lzj6u9FwSCxYYizFau2ULXaREpJL4AUdQ/s640/Joe+Strummer+strummer.jpg

Kurt Cobain Image
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m23lq5pqRF1qfl5zi.jpg

Matt Freeman Image
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiQFGHGxrTTqkqpM6DUY_MtpxNcaC1oBcv9mCJTenn005LVbAb5gGvuyCGqtU4HBfe2TCxSUj7X_4DcIBxGhBkoNAcCUadSBeR82th4MVKcDJgdKdMFAZdXymCcFWrizZqAufzYA6jdvTI/s1600/318947554_ab4eafccef_z.jpeg

Matt Sharp Image
http://www.weezerpedia.com/wiki/images/6/69/Matt_Sharp_2.jpg

Roger Glover Image
http://www.darkside.ru/band/11408/n33866.jpg

Jim Adkins Image
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/jimmy_eat_world-gal-download.jpg

Frank Iero Image
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/punkupthefunk/Frank%20Iero/FrankIero42.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment