Green Day at the Allstate Arena

Cancellations due to Billie Joe's rehab resulted in March 28th at the Allstate Arena being the first stop on their 99 Revolutions Tour (which I thought was called the Uno Dos Tre tour because that's what they were calling it on q87.7, but I can't imagine that the t-shirt I bought from vendors at the show that says 99 Revolutions Tour on it is wrong, and well, I can't imagine Green Day getting the name of their own tour wrong).

Anyways, I should probably give a brief opinion on what I thought about Uno Dos and Tre.

meh

Now that I got that out of the way, to the concert.  Before I start talking about the actual show, I want to mention the audience that came to see Green Day.  I'm not too accustom to seeing shows in stadiums but one thing I found unusual about the Muse concert at the United Center last month was that there were people dressing up for it.  I thought it was odd.  It's not New York Philharmonic people!  On top of that, I was the only one standing in my section for about half the show.  Pretty lame guys.

The Green Day concert was a completely different story.  People wore their band t-shirts and EVERYONE was standing the whole show.  Well, except for the young kids in front of me that got tired and decided to sit down towards the end.  I'll give them a break on that.

I don't mean to talk down about Muse but I can't help but to compare since I saw the two shows not too far apart.  Basically, I thought that Green Day blows the doors off of Muse live.  Green Day appreciates the fans every concert as opposed to Muse who goes out there and plays their music and basks in how great they are.  Green Day even took requests for one song.  That was awesome!  But yeah, sorry Muse.  I have a right to my opinion and, even though Muse is one of my top 20 favorite bands easily, they got nothing on Green Day live.

Well, enough talk about Muse.  Green Day kicked ass this show.  This show might have been even better than when I saw them at the United Center in 2009, which is pretty amazing considering how old they're getting.

Leading up to this show, I was worried that a sobered up Billie Joe would not be as enjoyable to watch and the concert would be a flop.  But, Billie Joe proved all of my doubts dead wrong!!!  It was high energy from start to finish.  They didn't let up once!

My favorite of the Uno Dos and Tre songs is "99 Revolutions" and I was hoping that they would play it (this was before I knew the tour was called '99 Revolutions').  But, of course, they came out and started with "99 Revolutions" which started great and kicked ass!

They then played "Stay the Night" which was okay.

After that, it gets kinda foggy since they played a lot of songs.  In fact, Green Day's show last Thursday was approximately 45 minutes longer than Muse's.  But, I said I would stop talking about Muse now...

They played "Know Your Enemy" which is a simple song but a crowd pumper.

They played some more from the new albums which, quite frankly, I didn't know the songs.  So I don't have song titles.  In fact, at this point, I was kinda worried that they were going to play mostly stuff from Uno Dos and Tre.

But then, they played "Letterbomb" and "Burnout."  Those are both amazing songs to see live.  I've always loved both of those songs and it was great shouting the words of "Letterbomb" and watching Tre tear up the drum solo in "Burnout."

Then, it gets even better, Billie Joe shouts, "I'm taking requests!  Someone shout what you want to hear!"  I shouted the first track of 39/Smooth "At the Library" but, alas, I can't be heard from the back.  However, he heard someone from the front who, I guess, had shouted "Disappearing Boy," the second track from 39/Smooth so, I was content with that.

They then decided to play some more from 39/Smooth with "Going to Pasalacqua."  At this point, I'm just loving it!

After that, they played "2000 Light Years Away" from Kerplunk! which is my favorite song from that album.

I really don't know the order from this point on so I'll just start listing songs that they played.

They played "Longview," "Basket Case," "She," and "When I Come Around" from Dookie.

Also, they played "Brain Stew," from Insomniac.

They played "Oh Love" from Uno which is my least favorite Green Day song.  However, I was expecting it. It couldn't be avoided.  What I was also expecting was "Kill the DJ."  But, they didn't play it.

Of course, they played "King for a Day" from Nimrod.  The 10 minute-ish version which they wore funny hats and do a medley of other songs as an interlude.  I could try to explain it all to you but, you're probably better off watching the footage from the Bullet in a Bible DVD.


The last song before the encore was "Minority" from Warning.  Another crowd anthem where you have everyone chanting the chorus at the stage holding up middle fingers.

They also played "Holiday" and "St. Jimmy" at some point in the show which are from American Idiot.  Those songs are great live.  Especially "Holiday," when the whole crowd is shouting the bridge of the song accompanied with Mike Dirnt's bass.

The encore was almost exactly the same set as when I saw them in 2009.  They came out and played "American Idiot" and "Jesus of Suburbia" which, quite frankly, brought memories back of circa 2005.  Especially "Jesus of Suburbia."  But, I don't think you've really heard "Jesus of Suburbia" until you've seen it live.  It really hits home with you when you're singing it along with a crowd of thousands of other people who enjoy the music as much as you do.

They then played "Brutal Love" which I am not too familiar with but, it was a cool song at the end of the show.

Green Day then left the stage again and... never came back.

Where the fuck are you Billie Joe!?  You didn't play "Good Riddance!"

I was fucking shocked.  The show was essentially flawless until they decided to not play "Good Riddance."  I mean, c'mon!  "Good Riddance" is a fan favorite and you are expected to do it at the end of every show!  I couldn't believe it!

Though it was a great show and I will keep going to Green Day concerts without hesitation, it did end with a small sense of disappointment.

Overall, it was one of the best shows I've been to despite the lackluster ending.  I hope enough fans give them feedback about how bad of a decision it was to cut "Good Riddance."

No comments:

Post a Comment