Seasonal Music Taste

Over the years, I've found that atmosphere can change how effective a song can be.  For instance, playing emo music at a birthday party just doesn't make any sense (unless if the birthday person wants to be depressed on their birthday, it's a free country).

However, it isn't always this obvious when and where a song, album, or band should be played.  The situations that songs can be played may also depend on the user.  Whether it's moods that they prefer over others, sounds that they prefer over others, or what kinds of things were going on in their life when they started listening to a particular band or style of music, many internal and external factors can effect a listener's experience of music.  For instance, some people can listen to reggae 24/7, 365 days a year.  Though for me, reggae really only makes sense to me if I listen to it during the summer.  Looking at the snow on the ground and listening to reggae is just contradictory to me.

Also, there is no reason to mention music that is written for certain times of year (ie; Jingle Bells or The Monster Mash).  Those kind of go without saying.

So, today, I would like to share with you some of the seasonal/situational tastes that I have in music.  Here are just a few of them


Parachutes - Mild Fall Day
Coldplay's album Parachutes has always felt more suited during the fall for me.  Particularly, it feels most suited when you're sitting outside and admiring the changing colors of the leaves.  Something about the combination of the fall and this album played softly in the background is soothing to me.  Just as a gentle breeze comes and tumbles the brown leaves on the ground, that's when the picture is perfect.

The All-American Rejects - Summer Nights/Spring
This one is particularly important as this is probably one of the first bands that I realized suited a certain atmosphere to be listened to properly.  This band I've always found suited late summer nights when you are alone in your bedroom.  On top of that, I also found that I prefer listening to their debut album in the springtime.  I'm not even sure why this is because I can also listen to this particular album in the summer and fall as well.  I find that when I listen to their debut album in different seasons, it has different connotations for me.

The XX - Highway Night
I think I remember someone else mentioning to me that they really liked listening to The XX while driving down the highway at night.  I can see exactly what they're talking about.  When driving down the highway in the dead of night, everything feels very vast and unending.  The XX really complements this feeling well as it's rather relaxing; they like putting a slight bit of reverb on just about everything.  If you haven't listened to The XX while driving down the highway at night, it's almost like you've never truly listened to The XX at all.

She Wants Revenge - Halloween
This one is more obvious than others.  She Wants Revenge has always had a spooky sound to them.  Although their music is never about Halloween in particular, their sound always reminds me of Halloween.  She Wants Revenge has a unique spin on the party atmosphere as most of their songs, in general, are about breakups or avoiding relationships.  So, sometimes, I imagine these events happening at a Halloween party.  Though, a lot of times, I imagine a very dark dance floor instead.  Either way, a great band for listening to in October.

Radiohead - Rain
I can't particularly place a reasoning on why I listen to Radiohead more often when it's raining than not.  The best I can come up with is because their songs are usually about depressing topics and rain can be depressing to look at.  All I know is that I definitely listen to Radiohead while it's raining.  That's just how it is.

Dark Side of the Moon - Night
I always loved listening to this album at night.  Something about the calm of night that amplifies this album's laid back mood.  Sit back, relax, and let the lunatic go in your head.

Hey Monday - Summer
Although I'm really only familiar with their album Hold Me Tight, their sound in general just screams summer to me.  They're from Florida:  and it shows.  I feel like this is the kind of music you would listen to on a sunny Florida day when you need to hear some bright power chords.

Clarity - Winter
Jimmy Eat World's album Clarity has always felt like a Winter album to me.  This is particularly interesting because Jimmy Eat World are from Mesa, Arizona so I doubt they were trying to set the mood of a snow-filled winter in their music.  I think there's something about the calmness of the dead of winter that I feel when I listen to this album.  One of those sunny days when there's a blanket of snow on the ground.  Even at night during the winter this album fits.  In my mind, this album is definitely a winter album.



And then on Valentine's Day I like to listen to Slayer or My Chemical Romance depending on how pissed off or sad I feel
...
Happy (or sad) Valentine's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment