Playing Catch-up: Dennis Deyoung at the Arcada Theater

Back in March I saw Dennis Deyoung and his supporting group perform at the Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL.  Basically, if you really enjoy the band Styx, this is the group you want to see.  You don't want to see the band that calls itself "Styx."

For those of you that don't know, Dennis Deyoung was the lead singer and keyboardist for the band Styx.  He was also the only original member left of the band.  That is, until Dennis Deyoung fell ill and the rest of the band decided to find another singer/keyboardist and leave him behind.  I don't know if this is true or not.  This is just what I've heard.  So don't quote me on it.

In my opinion (and people could argue with me about this all day), I think that Dennis Deyoung was one of the best rock singers from the eighties.  With that being said, you can see why I would rather see Dennis Deyoung by himself than the rest of Styx without Dennis Deyoung.

What's interesting about this too is that, the backup musicians for Dennis Deyoung were fucking phenomenal.

The two guitar players sounded just like James Young and Tommy Shaw from Styx, vocally and guitar-wise.  There were times where I forgot that I wasn't actually watching Styx.  They were that good.  I would not hesitate to see this band again.  No doubt about it.  If you like Styx at all, do not let an opportunity to see Dennis Deyoung in concert pass you up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment