My Take On Halloween

Halloween is, hands down, my favorite holiday.  I can't really pinpoint why exactly except to say that the atmosphere is something that I find most superb.  The leaves are changing colors, everyday isn't a heatwave, everything just feels surprisingly...pleasant.

Then on top of the things that fall brings, you have all of the decorations and such that Halloween brings.  The aesthetics of Halloween decorations are something that I've really enjoyed for a long time.  Making things look spooky is something that I approve.  Also, unlike other holidays, the lore that's associated with Halloween (and horror in general) is rather interesting.  I'm not going to sit here all day and type about it since most everyone, at least, has a general idea about some of the classic horror stories.  I just really enjoy it all.

A major influence on why I like Halloween so much would have to stem from my best friend's family.  When I was a kid, every year they would set up a haunted house in their garage and throw Halloween parties so that the kids in the family could take their friends through the haunted house.  There would also be a day when the parents would invite family, neighbors, friends, etc. and bring them through the haunted house.  It was all in good fun and also something that I would look forward to every year as the haunted house was very well done, especially for the space that they had to do it in.  In later years, I had much more involvement in setting up, tearing down, and acting in the haunted house.  Even the last year that we did it, I was still impressed at how much someone could cram into a three car garage.  The overall design of the haunted house was incredibly efficient; using every bit of space allotted.

I also got my first official job as a seasonal sales associate at a Spirit Halloween.  This job was a lot of fun.  Especially since I also got a couple of my friends to apply and work with me.  The attitude of the store is laid back and a lot of the people were interesting to work with.  Also, opposed to other retail jobs, the customers are generally excited and enthusiastic about Halloween and you can have an interesting conversation with them.

So, Halloween is always number one in my book.  I can't help but to get psyched every year for the Halloween season.

No comments:

Post a Comment