PSP Reboot #21: Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception

Ace Combat X:  Skies of Deception is a really good reboot.  It's pretty sweet because it has a lot of the same feel and design as Ace Combat 4:  Shattered Skies - an instant classic on the PS2.  The game has cut scenes and story telling similar to Ace Combat 4 where it uses hand drawn stills combined with voice acting.  Also, like Ace Combat 4, the story is told from a civilian perspective.  This kind of story telling is pretty fresh as we generally don't see story telling done from civilian perspectives in video games; especially since the main story is not directly related to the "character" that's flying the plane.  I really enjoy the story in this game and Ace Combat 4, in my humble opinion, has one of the best.

The gameplay is also similar to Ace Combat 4.  I'm not sure if Ace Combat 5 or Ace Combat Zero came out before or after this reboot but I like the nostalgic feeling I get from playing this reboot.  Like Ace Combat 4, you get lots and lots of missiles to rain destruction on everything you see and drastically change the tide of battle.  The controls are good and are pretty well converted to the PSP.

There's also a multiplayer mode that has a plethora of interesting game modes (even more than the most recent Ace Combat:  Assault Horizon).  If you can find others who have bought this game, give the multiplayer a try.  I don't know how good it is myself because I didn't have anyone to play it with.

If you ever see this game, I would definitely give it a try.  It's not very often you find a PSP game that works this well.

Image:  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Acx_cover1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment